AuSSI-SA supports the development of more sustainable communities by encouraging schools (from all sectors) to incorporate Education for Sustainability (EfS) into their learning and management practices. The Initiative has been grown from the wisdom of many teachers, students, community members and environmental agencies and organisations.
AuSSI-SA recognises the important contribution to sustainability education being made by many schools, preschools and childcare centres in our community.
AuSSI-SA, Education for Sustainability - A guide to becoming a sustainable school
The AuSSI-SA, Education for Sustainability - A guide to becoming a sustainable school (also known as the AuSSI-SA EfS Guide) provides guidance, support and direction for each school to explore EfS and to determine their own sustainable future visions and paths for achieving them.
The AuSSI-SA Guide contains rubric tools for each element of the model so that schools can develop visions and plans to become more sustainable. These resources were developed and trialled with South Australia schools and sites. AuSSI-SA is continuing to collect stories and examples from schools to share experiences with others and celebrate the ongoing sustainability journey. To download a copy of the AuSSI-SA EfS Guide go to: www.decd.sa.gov.au/efs.
- a whole-school approach to EfS
- vision and values developed in the school and its community to guide the implementation of EfS
- community partnerships and relationships
- the inclusion of diverse cultural perspectives
- student voices in decision-making and student action
- the equality of all participants in the process
- respect for self, others and the environment
- a focus on long-term thinking and decision-making
- holistic, integrated and systemic thinking
- the health of ecological systems
- interconnectedness of environmental, social and economic sustainability
- the promotion of sustainable living practices.
AuSSI-SA schools (including preschools and childcare centres)
An AuSSI-SA school;
- has registered to be an AuSSI-SA school including as many people as possible (ie students, staff, parents, and community) in the process to decide to join AuSSI-SA
- commits to using the AuSSI-SA model and rubrics
- establishes or continues with plans to improve sustainability based on the AuSSI-SA model and rubrics
- commits to the values of AuSSI-SA schools as outlined above and in the EfS Guide
- is continuously trying to reduce its ecological footprint
- is committed to learning about sustainability (ie social, cultural, environmental, economic)
- shares with other AuSSI-SA schools and contributes stories to the AuSSI-SA website
- provides feedback on their progress to AuSSI-SA once a year.
School and community outcomes of AuSSI-SA include;
- improved connectivity with all key players leading to optimised use of resources and effective decision making
- improved environmental outcomes (water, energy, biodiversity, waste, transport, procurement and others)
- improved educational outcomes related to sustainability
- increased community capacity to tackle climate change.
AuSSI-SA supports, and is supported by other partners such as Wipe Out Waste (ZeroWaste and KESAB), MurrayCare, Urban Forest Biodiversity Program (and the Million Trees Program), Air Watch (Environment Protection Authority), EnergySA and TransportSA and others.
The AuSSI-SA working partnership develops a consistent, whole-of-school approach to EfS, establishing common language and understandings in the community. It promotes clear directions and indicators for learning and change while supporting and coordinating planning, evaluation, monitoring and decision-making processes to promote continuous improvement in sustainability learning and practices.
NRM Education supports AuSSI-SA schools
AuSSI-SA schools are supported by NRM Education in most regions of South Australia. NRM Education encourages and supports schools to become more sustainable by providing;
- professional development and school networking and sharing opportunities
- supporting youth voice initiatives
- assisting with the development of School Environmental Management Plans (SEMPS) and
- providing resources and expertise for integrating environmental sustainability into the school curriculum.
Tackling Climate Change
AuSSI-SA is developing learning and action strategies for schools to tackle climate change through the development of an education resource with the working title of Sustainable and Attainable. Sustainable and Attainable is an education and school management process that addresses climate change by building sustainability through attainable steps. It supports the whole school community to develop skills and capacities to appreciate, manage, improve and communicate the environmental performance of their school.