Sustainable and Attainable
This South Australian Government site has a series of themed resources including Energy Biodiversity, Water, Waste, Transport, and Air. Its focus is to aid schools in their journey to becoming sustainable.
2012 International Year of Sustainable Energy for All
The United Nations General Assembly has designated 2012 as the International Year of Sustainable Energy for All.
With leadership from UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, UN Energy – a coordinating group of 20 UN agencies – is undertaking a new global initiative, Sustainable Energy for All. This initiative will engage governments, the private section and civil society partners globally to achieve three major goals by 2030:
- Ensure universal access to modern energy services
- Reduce global energy intensity by 40 per cent
- Increase renewable energy use globally to 30 per cent.
Renewable Energy PD: 11th March 2010, Cowandilla Primary School
Renewable Energy PD flyer (596kb pdf)
Renewable Energy PD images (420kb pdf)
Renewable Energy web resources (281kb pdf)
Renewable Energy activities (279kb pdf)
Anenometer template (34kb pdf)
Wind speed angle template (56kb pdf)
Save money on school energy bills PD: 25th August 2009, Balyana Conference Centre
See below to access podcasts of the speakers and copies of their PowerPoint presentations as pdf documents.
1. Jonathan Noble from DECD introduces the NRM Education Energy PD (5:01 mins)
2. Chris Bayly from Coromandel Valley PS discusses his school's achievements (8:31 mins)download Chris' PowerPoint (756kb pdf)
3. Jake Bugden from Sustainable Focus discusses energy saving techniques (17:13 mins)download Jake's PowerPoint (1.07Mb pdf)
4. Simon Bowden from Largs Bay PS outlines some of the energy initiatives going on at his school (10:45 mins)
5. Andrew Jarvis from Spotless discusses energy saving techniques (17:26 mins)download Andrew's PowerPoint (760kb pdf)
6. Denise Long from Charles Campbell Secondary School discusses some of her school's energy reduction initiatives (6:22 mins)download Denise's PowerPoint (631kb pdf)
7. The expert panel answers questions from the audience (25:10 mins)
8. Nick Branson from DTEI discusses energy saving and auditing tools (16:15 mins)download Nick's PowerPoint (473kb pdf)
9. Rosalie Haese from DECD discusses the National Solar Schools Programme (16:25 mins)download Rosalie's PowerPoint (199kb pdf)
10. Jonathan Noble from DECD discusses the new Sustainable & Attainable Resource (9:30 mins)
This site has usefull resources for teachers and studnets of various ages. Click on the Sustainability tab and Education.
Australian Academy of Science - Primary Connections
This site contains a diverse range of science based resources which are linked to many aspects of the school curriculum. Topics can relate to Energy, Biodiversity, Purchasing, Climate and Water.
This British site discusses all the energy sources we can access to generate energy for human activity. It also has a series of quizzes
Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
The Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations commissioned ARIES to develop a module in energy efficiency and renewable energy for students in the tertiary education sector, as part of the Skills for the Carbon Challenge initiative.
It is designed to provide students with the understanding, skills and capabilities to incorporate concerns about energy efficiency, energy effectiveness and renewable energy into their personal and working lives. The modular construction of the unit allows teachers and lecturers to either utilise the content within existing courses, or to develop new short courses.
The module is available for free download from: